September 27, 2016
Clinton vs. Trump, Iceland vs. Iceland, Colombia Throws A Party And More…
PNUT GALLERY Help us figure out what the hell happened in the debate last night. We want to know what your favorite moment was and who you think won. Your guess is as good as ours. IN A NUTSHELL: MUST READ #pnut4prez: Recapping 90 Crazy Minutes That Might Decide Your Future Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump went head to head in a 90-minute debate where the clear loser was the English language. The stakes were high for both candidates who are locked in an essential dead heat in the polls and early voting underway in some states. In case you missed it, here are the highlights:
- Hillary spent the 90 minutes speaking in full sentences about her trade policy, support for NATO and defending the Iran deal.
- Trump spent the 90 minutes amalgamating a loose collection of half sentences that implied that the Iran Deal was terrible, free trade was worse and that Stop-and-Frisk was a good idea (he didn’t seem to realize it was ruled unconstitutional).
- Trump attacked NAFTA for the devastating effect it had on industrial communities across the US. Many economists agree with this point. Hillary defended the deal, pointing to rising standards of living overall for the middle class as a result of free trade. Many economists also agree with this point.
- Hillary defended her plan to raise taxes on the wealthiest Americans as well as raise the minimum wage to ensure that more Americans benefit from the economic recovery. Trump defended an opposing plan to lower taxes for the wealthiest Americans, saying it will bring money back into the country and spur economic growth.
- Trump tried to defend his decision not to release his tax returns, claiming he is being audited. The IRS has said there is no reason not to release tax returns while under an audit.
- Trump took the bait on his support for the birther movement, taking us down a long and winding road involving Sid Blumenthal, some company called McClatchy and other things that meant to imply that Hillary Clinton started the birther movement. FACT: she did not start it. He also seemed proud to have procured Obama’s birth certificate, which is not exactly something to be proud of. Hillary called him out on his racism and brought up a lawsuit by the DoJ alleging discrimination against African Americans in Trump properties in the 1970s. He didn’t deny that he had discriminated but did say he settled without admitting guilt and that everyone else was doing it.
- Trump also took us down memory lane while trying to prove that he was against the Iraq War from the start. He asked us to call Sean Hannity and ask him what Trump’s stance was, but as is clear from this interview with Howard Stern, Trump was lying. He was actually pro the Iraq War.
- Trump also denied that he claimed that global warming was a hoax started by the Chinese, but according to this tweet from 2012, he did exactly that.
- Trump claimed he had a “winning temperament,” and Hillary did a little shimmy in response.
- Things got awkward for everybody when Lester Holt called out Trump on his accusation that Hillary Clinton doesn’t have “the look” to be President. Hillary then slammed him for calling women “pigs, slobs and dogs.”
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU